WhosOn iPhone Client Now Available

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Daniel View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Technical Director

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WhosOn iPhone Client Now Available
    Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 9:15am
Hi Gary

It could be a number of different things with IIS - do you have .net 3.5 installed?
You may need to run:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation\ServiceModelReg -r

In order to get the IIS Bindings installed correctly.  If this doesn't correct it, please contact our support team.
Daniel Tallentire
Support
Parker Software
garyhartaz View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Quote garyhartaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 2:33pm
I have followed all of the instructions and the iPhone app cannot connect!

I am getting a 'Connection Error' - internal server error message window when trying to connect to my server. I have the virtual directory setup in IIS6 pointing to the iphone directory in the WhosOnV5 directory with the latest build.

What am I doing wrong?
Daniel View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Technical Director

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 4:53pm
Hi Jamie

The battery drain isn't massive for leaving it on all day - similar to a web browser that updates content periodically etc.

On the iPhone some things can happen regardless of multi-tasking; these include the Phone Calls, iPod etc.  You can take or reject the call, and stay in the chat session.

The iPad version is currently at Apple for validation so should be on the AppStore in the next few days.  It is a universal app, so if you get it on the iPhone you can use it on the iPad too.
Daniel Tallentire
Support
Parker Software
JamieM View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Quote JamieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Daniel

Yep, it will work to connect to your whitelabel;  let me know if you have any problems, or suggestions.

Just as a caveat for you - multitasking on iPhone doesn't allow the connection to the server to remain open when in the background, so it is unfortunately closed when the app is backgrounded.

Hi Daniel,

I am currently not a customer but trialled WhosOn a couple of years ago. I am interested in the new iPhone app for WhosOn.

You mention that it doesn't remain connected when backgrounded. How practical is it to keep the app active all day? Is it a huge drain on battery? I don't actually have an iPhone (yet) so am not that familiar with the multitasking. What would happen if you received a call when engaged in a WhosOn chat? Would you have the choice to reject the call and remain in the chat?

I am just really wondering how practical this app would be as a main way of using WhosOn and whether it will work on iPad?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jamie

Edited by JamieM - 10 Sep 2010 at 12:52am
Jamie Miller
Active Sports Ltd
NSD Powerball | MusucBag Sleeping Bag |
donkeyadam View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Quote donkeyadam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 1:16pm
Reports.. when well it have reports ?
Cheers,

Adam
mbtshoes View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbtshoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 9:26am
It is useful for me.thanks.
Daniel View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Technical Director

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 11:46pm
no - we're not allowed to do this as per agreements with apple unfortunately;  we have to pick a price and stick with it.
we can put the beta out again once we have a change to the app - we'll be doing some updates shortly, including the push feature in line with the next major release of WhosOn hopefully.

they haven't developed any system for time limited demos either, which is a big headache... if we want to do a demo version it has to be cut down feature list.  time limited demos willl be refused.
Daniel Tallentire
Support
Parker Software
SO Marketing View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Quote SO Marketing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 12:21am
Is the beta available still for me to try before I buy? As it is quite expensive for an app
Daniel View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Technical Director

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 12:17am
No - its a limitation of the operating system.  iPhone OS basically allows a very basic subset of actions when the app is backgrounded:

audio
location services
voip
long running proc (single file download for instance)
local scheduled notifications

It isn't possible to keep checking a server for updates.   The iPhone is designed this way in order to preserve battery life, but unless your application uses something from this restricted feature set, then the multitasking won't quite do the job.   I'm of the opinion that it shouldn't really have been marketed as multitasking, because people already have existing ideas about what that means, which is not what is available on iOS 4.

In the future we will probably implement the Push notifications on the phone, so that chat sessions can be sent through to the client without the connection, and this could cause the application to launch connecting to the chat session, but we aren't there with the server code on this yet.

Hopefully Apple will provide us with some way to use limited network services when in background mode, but I'm not expecting this for the near future.
Daniel Tallentire
Support
Parker Software
SO Marketing View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Quote SO Marketing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 11:51am
will you be building this feature into the app?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>