Parker Software Ltd Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > WhosOn Visitor Tracking & Live Chat > iPhone Client
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

iPhone Client - Setting Up WhosOn Server

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: iPhone Client - Setting Up WhosOn Server
    Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 9:51am
Setting up the WhosOn Server to use the iPhone client.

The following instructions are for Installable Edition users only. For Hosted users all servers are already updated.

In order to use the new iPhone you need to be using WhosOn 5.2 or higher. You also need to add a new virtual directory in IIS.

Copy the contents of the C:\Program Files\WhosOnV5\Silverlight\ to a new folder called C:\Program Files\WhosOnV5\iPhone\

Edit the web.config in the new iPhone folder and replace all instances of 'binaryMessageEncoding' with 'textMessageEncoding' (just do a find/replace in Notepad).

Load IIS
Locate the web site that currently has the WhosOn virtual directories (chat, whosonclient)
Create a new virtual dir in IIS called 'iphone' and point it to this new folder.

In your iPhone go to Settings - WhosOn and specify your server address, authentication string, user name & password as you would in the regular Client.

Edited by Stephen - 26 Jul 2010 at 3:11pm
James Horton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Technical Support

Post Options Post Options   Quote James Horton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 1:31pm
When configuring for an IIS 7 environment, please note that this part of the instructions:

In order to use the new iPhone you need to be using WhosOn 5.2 or higher. You also need to add a new virtual directory in IIS.

Needs to be revised to 'a new application in IIS' instead of a virtual directory.

Edited by James Horton - 24 Aug 2010 at 1:32pm
Best Regards,

Daniel James Horton
Technical Manager
Parker Software
is View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Quote is Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 2:10am
Hi

I have Windows Installable Edition 5.2.782.
I followed the instructions in the article in terms of IIS and the virtual directory.

I configured my iPAD with:
- Server's IP
- Authentication string
- Username/pwd.

When I launch the iPAD client app, I get this error:

Not Connected
You must fill in the connection details in the settings application to connect.

Thanks,
Ralph
gee View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Quote gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 12:32am
I'm having the same issue. As soon as I open the app on my iPad, it says "you must fill in the connection details in the settings application". I have no idea what I'm supposed to do at this point...
gee View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Quote gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 9:26pm
Actually, scratch that. I just found the documentation and realized I needed to setup the details in the settings section. However, now I get the following message:

"A server with the specified hostname could not be found. - this could be caused by an incorrect 'Server' address in the Settings"

I know I have the correct host name, so it must be something else. If it helps, I'm able to load Whoson in a web browser, but when I log in I get a popup saying:

"Could not establish connection: [HttpWebRequest_WebException_RemoteServer]
Arguments: NotFound"

Any ideas what's wrong?
James Horton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Technical Support

Post Options Post Options   Quote James Horton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:29am
Please note that the following will need to be in place if you are using WhosOn V5.2 and you have not configured the Silverlight client (http://www.parker-software.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7760&FID=88&PR=3&PN=2&title=installing-the-new-silverlight-client)

- Install .Net Framework 3.5 SP1
- Create a new Application Pool called WhosOnSilverlight
- Select the Advanced settings on the App Pool and change its identity to 'NetworkService'.
- Make sure default.aspx is added as the default document for the virtual directory.
- Set the App Pool of the new app to the newly created app pool.

- If using IIS6 you need to add the XAP mimetype. To do this, right click 'Web Sites' in II6, choose Properties - HTTP Headers Tab - Mime Types button. Add the mime types:
.xap  - application/x-silverlight-app
.xaml - application/xaml+xml
.xbap - application/x-ms-xbap

Users should now be able to browse to the client using http://{yourserver}/whosonclient/

If you want to use the client over https - edit the web.config file in the C:\Program Files\WhosOnV5\Silverlight client folder. Change the 'bindingConfiguration="PubSub"' entry in the <services> section to 'bindingConfiguration="PubSubSecure"

The Silverlight Client uses the Windows Communication Foundation services (WCF) on the IIS Server to communicate with WhosOn. This may need registering with IIS if IIS was setup after .NET Framework 3. To do this open a command prompt and enter:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation\ServiceModelReg -r

Best Regards,

Daniel James Horton
Technical Manager
Parker Software
kzrambo View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Quote kzrambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 8:26pm

WCF Data Services is a WCF component. They're commonly used in conjunction with Silverlight apps (hence your Google results), but are a distinct technology. xRM Portals 3.0 only requires .NET 3.5, and not 4.0.

The error is the result of a known issue with WCF in .NET Framework 3.5. WCF services can only be bound to a single address per address scheme (e.g., one URL for HTTP).

The likely cause is that you have multiple host headers configured for the site in IIS. You'll have to remove all HTTP host headers but one for the service to initialize properly. Unfortunately, this limitation is built into the .NET Framework and cannot be circumvented.

Post Reply Post Reply