Parker Software Ltd Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ThinkAutomation Business Process Automation > Product Feedback
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Email2DB Feedback (large)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Email2DB Feedback (large)
    Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 7:20pm

I’ve been working with Email2DB version 3 for a few months now. It is the direct replacement product for our large Procmail implementation. We have a lot of rules that Procmail has been handling without any issue. I’m now up to over 130 triggers in Email2db and it seems to be working well enough for now but it does become slow when a number of messages are being processed at once.

Since I’ve worked with it for some time now, I have some suggestions that I’d like to make about many aspects of the software that will hopefully get added to future releases. If I mention something that is a function of me doing something wrong, please let me know. These items are in no particular order.

Overall, I really like the product and it has a lot of capability and will be used heavily in our environment. These suggestions are to remove annoyances and help the product scale a bit better. Thanks.

1. ·         ‘Message Contains’ trigger condition not being saved when modifying a trigger. If you type a subject in the field, DON’T hit enter, switch to trigger actions and make changes, switch back to trigger conditions (your typed in subject will still be there), and then ‘Save’. Re-open the trigger and the new or updated subject text will not be there. This doesn’t seem to perform in the same way when creating a new trigger, only updating an existing one. This has bitten me many times.
  2. ·         Would like AD integration for user accounts and access. It would be good for both individual and group access.
  3. ·         Re-ordering triggers. It would be nice if this worked better. Keep the view on the selected trigger, not have it scroll off the screen when moving up/down. Have the ability to highlight multiple triggers to move at the same time. Ability to drag rules (multiple) up/down. Ability to move to top/bottom. Ability to move to a specific place (right click at new location?). It is very annoying to have to click tons of times to move rules around.
  4. ·         Help button “?” in the script editor does nothing.
  5. ·         When remotely connected to a server (say from my desktop), you can’t modify a path to where an attachment is going to be saved.
  6. ·         Need an easier way to migrate accounts/triggers to another environment. We have 3 environments (Dev/QA/Prod) and I need to keep them in sync. The process I’ve come up with is to have a Dev-acct_name in our Dev environment which gets disabled/deployed/re-enabled to the QA environment. Triggers are then copied into the QA-acct_name (annoyingly one at a time). This account is then disabled/deployed/re-enabled to the Prod environment. Triggers are then copied into Prod-acct_name (one at a time). This process allows me to keep control of what is being moved up the chain without overwriting (as a whole) what is already in that environment.
    1. The deploy capability is ok but having an application option that defaults to disable the deployed account in the destination would be nice.
    2. Ability to copy multiple triggers from one account to another would be extremely useful.
    3. Some type of version control or at least a last modified date/time stamp would be very useful.
    4. Like above, easier re-ordering of triggers after migrating.
  7. ·         Viewing statistics. Sometimes the in and sent numbers are similar so one is on top of the other so the bottom one can’t be read.
  8. ·         ‘#’ character in an email address is ignored. We have a policy (which is bad but historical) where all distribution lists start with a ‘#’ sign. The email address of these DL’s look like: #some_name@domain.com. When putting this value in the email field, the ‘#’ character is dropped.
  9. ·         Viewing messages in the message store doesn’t work when remotely connected to an email2db server. The From, To, CC, Subject fields are blank. The Processed field has the value of “Did not match trigger conditions”.
  10. ·         Need some type of version control/timestamp for triggers. See above in rule migration.
  11. ·         The trigger scheduler (active/inactive blocks) needs a UI fix. Should be able to highlight multiple hours and enable/disable them en masse. Clicking each one at a time to change from fully enabled to only enabled during mon-fri 8-5 is a big pain.
  12. ·         Need a specific minute(s) option for an account schedule definition. Currently, I have a particular account that is set to run every 60 minutes. It starts based on when it’s enabled/saved/modified. I would like it to run every 60 minutes at X-min after the hour. This way I can count on when it will run.
  13. ·         There is no scroll bar on the new account/trigger screens. If the window is too short, options at the bottom can/will be ignored.
  14. ·         Enabling a trigger changes your view to the top of the list of triggers. This is annoying when I have to scroll back to where I was in the list.
  15. ·         Ability to enable/disable multiple triggers at once.
  16. ·         Filter search for a trigger needs the ability to wildcard. All I’ve been able to make the search do is find triggers that start with what I’ve typed. How can I find all triggers that have a specific term used somewhere in their name?
  17. ·         Global variables as an option. I found that setting a variable in the trigger actions screen makes that variable global to all other triggers even though the ‘persist value’ (I know what this is for) is not checked. This is not intuitive and it required me to adjust a lot of other triggers to make sure some variables were specifically set so remnant values weren’t used. I would recommend another checkbox next to ‘Persist Value’ called ‘Global’. This way it is optional instead of default. It would be problematic to switch this capability with an upgrade so the default value could be checked.
  18. ·         UI Improvements with trigger actions. The ability to highlight multiple actions so they could be copied/pasted/moved would be VERY useful. Once again, doing things one at a time is very annoying.
  19. ·         When pasting a trigger action, the view of all the actions is moved to the top of the list. This requires me to readjust my view back down to where I was working.
  20. ·         In the message store, there is a mark as ‘read’, but there is no mark as ‘unread’.
  21. ·         Enable/Disable a trigger changes my view of the triggers to the top of the list. This requires me to readjust my view back to where I was working.
  22. ·         Currently, I can highlight a specific trigger and click view processed messages for that particular trigger. It would be very valuable to have another button that allows me to view message logs that are specific to that trigger. When the log is active and very large, it’s very difficult (and usually not worth) to try and find the log entry for the specific processed message.
  23. ·         Ability to modify a message in the message store before reprocessing it. This could simply be a copy of the original message to a scratch location where it can be modified and then processed. This would be very useful.
  24. ·         When working with extracting fields, there is a sample subject/body that are used for validating the field extraction. When opening a message in the message store, you can copy the message body but you can’t copy the subject.
  25. ·         Ability to search contents of triggers for terms. This search would locate terms in trigger conditions, field extractions, trigger actions, and all email2db (vb) scripts. Many of our triggers are similar to each other and if I need to make a change to multiples, it’s a big hunt through all triggers to find ones that apply.
  26. ·         Ability to process rules asynchronously. I have a model that I’ve previously used where once a trigger is applied, a delay is applied before taking action. This shouldn’t stop subsequent messages from being processed. A subsequent message can apply to a different trigger that may interact with the first (via flag file or something) so it will perform the proper action. This could be optional per trigger.
  27. Ability to kick off user already connected when opening Administrator to manage an environment. We have a limited number of licenses and if someone forgets to disconnect, other support folks are hosed.

Edited by peterro - 04 Jun 2013 at 7:30pm
Stephen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 3:55pm
thanks this is great feedback.
peterro View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 5:56pm
Excellent. Will these be reviewed for future addition? I also have one addition.

When switching between the "Service Status" and "Accounts & Triggers" tab, the previous view is not maintained on the Triggers tab. When I switch to the Service Status tab, I usually select the 'message processor server log' tab to watch the running log. If I switch to the Triggers tab and back, I return to the same log window view. When on the Triggers tab, I'm typically working with a trigger (highlighted) in one of the accounts. When I switch to Service Status and back to Triggers, my view changes to the top level accounts view. I then have to open the account and scroll through my triggers to re-highlight the one I previously had. This is pretty annoying.

Thanks again.
peterro View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 10:18pm
One more.

• The scroll left/scroll right buttons at the bottom of the Message store doesn't seem to do anything. The messages are in groups of 500. The only way I can see the groups further to the right is to expand the window.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic